A: Sometimes it may indeed seem as though life has thrown all it can at us, even kicking us while we're down. In Unity we believe that every problem has a spiritual solution. To be more precise, what we desire to experience in the physical world has its beginnings in the spiritual realm. We tap into the spiritual realm through our mind and our heart, both the thinking and feeling nature. Sounds great, but what does that really mean as far as actions we take? Here are some thoughts:
- We may not need to know how to get back up, but we need to believe that we can. Belief is perhaps the most powerful instrument of change. People live and die by (and for) their beliefs. What do we believe about ourselves? What do we believe about our power to shape our own life? Do we believe we will always get back up?
- It's ok to stay down for a while. Sometimes we just need to take a break from it all. Getting away to rest and recover is an important part of self-care. And let it be a time of intentional rest with meditation and prayer and any other spiritual practice that renews.
- Harness the Power of Surrender. From a spiritual perspective, surrender does not mean giving up. It means choosing to no longer struggle. It may be an invitation to let go certain aspects of our lives, or even our selves. Perhaps there is a message or lesson for us that we just haven't heard yet. Maybe there are changes we have to make in our lives that we've been resisting. To surrender is to say Yes to the deeper directive of Spirit.
- Life doesn't happen to us, we happen to life! While life can often seem like a series of random events (and sometimes it is), how we respond is entirely up to us, and our response creates our life experience moving forward. This is the essence of Unity's 3rd Basic Principle - We create our life experiences through our way of thinking.
- We are not alone. One of the most insidious lies we tell ourselves is that we have to get through trauma and tragedy on our own. We don't. We all need help from time to time, and there are many people waiting to help us -- family, friends, spiritual community, professional services. The most difficult part for some of us is asking.
- We are Divine. We often forget this one. Or at the very least, do not grasp the enormity of this statement. Unity minister and author Eric Butterworth said it best: "The Truth is that the whole of God-substance is present in its entirety at every point in space and time." That includes us! We are the same substance/energy/power that created and continues to create the Universe. What will we do with that?